Hot summertime weather means shedding layers and showing off that bikini body. For many, especially women, the season can make them feel like one big blemish. Spider veins and varicose veins can appear or worsen during the months of July and August more than any other month of the year.
WHY ARE VARICOSE VEINS WORSE IN THE SUMMER:
The sun’s rays can weaken the skin’s upper layers, sap its moisture and diminish its elasticity making the hot summer sun the primary culprit. This makes both the skin and the veins just below its surface unable to flex and move properly. As a result, the veins are unable to keep blood flowing as normal, causing it to pool instead. Plus, frequent exposure to high temperatures can cause blood vessels to expand, placing more stress on valves in the veins. When the valve breaks or doesn’t work efficiently from stress, the blood pools creating spider veins and varicose veins.
TO HELP EASE THE SUMMER SYMPTOMS, FOLLOW THESE TIPS:
- Don’t forget the sun block and high SPF moisturizers. Of course you want to apply it your legs, but also on your face and nose, where thinner skin is more prone to developing tiny spider veins.
- Shade is your friend. Cover up or seek shade if you’ll be outside for long periods of time.
- Keep hydrated by drinking plenty of water. It’s great for keeping your skin smooth and clear, too.
- Summery flats and sandals are more favorable than high heels because they keep your calf muscles pumping blood out of the leg as they flex.
- Keep moving. Exercises like swimming, surfing and brisk evening walks are best because the coolness helps keep the blood vessels from fully dilating.
Think your veins are feeling the summer time symptoms? We can help relieve your discomfort. Call Premier Vein Specialists to schedule your FREE Screening. 717-412-7226