It’s no surprise that exercise and physical activity has a direct positive effect on your overall health and wellbeing. In addition to providing physical health, regular exercise can also help improve your mood and emotional wellbeing.
But what exercises are easy to do at home and can help alleviate some symptoms associated with varicose veins? Here are 5 easy exercises to help combat vein disease and improve vein health. Here are easy exercises for varicose veins:
Easy Exercises for Varicose Veins
- Walking: Walking is one of the easiest and simplest forms of exercise to help improve your health. If you are new to walking as a form of exercise, start by walking around your neighborhood or at a local park. You can even start with small increments – try to do 5-10 minutes of walking a few times a day and work up to 30 minutes of walking at a time.Walking can help you lose weight, control blood pressure, and strengthen your muscles, all of which help lower your risk of varicose veins.
- Leg Lifts: Leg exercises like leg lifts are easy to do and do not require any special equipment. Start by lying flat on your back. Keep your legs straight as much as possible and lift each leg one at a time up towards the ceiling. Hold your leg in the air for a few seconds before returning to the beginning position and then alternate legs.If you have problems lying on the floor, you can do leg lifts from a standing position. Stand near a wall or a chair so you can balance yourself, and slowly lift each leg in front of you. Hold for a few seconds and then alternate legs. Leg lifts help stretch your leg muscles and when done properly can improve blood circulation.
- Lunges: Lunges can improve the strength of your leg and calf muscles. Healthy legs and calves can help keep your blood pumping while unhealthy leg muscles can cause blood to pool and lead to varicose veins. To do lunges, start by standing upright with your feet slightly apart. Step forward with one leg and bend forward so your knee is above your ankle. Hold for a few seconds and return to the starting position. Repeat with the other leg.
- Calf Raises: Strong calf muscles are key to overall leg health and can improve circulation. These are very easy to do and you can even do them while watching TV or waiting in line at the store! Simply raise your heel off of the floor and go on your “tippy toes” and return to resting position. Repeat this motion several times over the course of 30 seconds to a minute.
- Bicycling: If you have a bicycle, you have a great tool to improve not only your vein health but your overall health! Bicycling helps improve the strength of your calves and legs. Stationary bikes and elliptical machines also provide the same benefits as a bicycle. If you do not have a bicycle or access to a gym, you can still mimic the bicycling motion by laying on your back and pedaling your legs in a circular motion, just as if you were riding a bike.
These easy exercises for varicose veins may help alleviate some symptoms.
What Exercises Should I Avoid with Varicose Veins?
If you suffer from varicose veins and spider veins, not all exercise can be helpful. Strenuous, high-impact exercises like running can make varicose veins worse. Weightlifting is also not recommended for varicose veins, as it strains venous circulation. When you lift heavy weights, it causes pressure on your abdomen which can impede blood flowing to your heart.
Varicose Vein Treatments
Even if you work to prevent varicose veins including regular exercise, you still may need to explore other varicose vein treatments. It’s important to talk to your doctor about varicose and spider veins and understand how exercise and other treatment methods can alleviate your symptoms.
At Premier Vein Specialists, Dr. Mathai can listen to your concerns and offer a treatment plan that makes sense for you. After a free, confidential vein health screening, Dr. Mathai will explain the best way for you to realize optimal vein health. With more than three decades of experience, he is ready to help you love your legs again.
Complete our free screening form or call 717-412-7226 to be on your way to healthy legs!
At Premier Vein Specialists, your health is our priority. Our offices in York and Hanover only admit one patient at a time, and we follow all health and safety guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19.